The word arboretum comes from the Latin word for tree, arbor. The word first appeared in literature in 1833 and was used to refer to the part of a garden that nurtured and presented exotic trees. Today the term refers more generally to a botanical garden containing living collections of trees and shrubs. In Finnish the term used is “puulajipuisto”.
Arboreta play an important role in research and education, as well as for plant breeding. For the general public they are pleasant and interesting attractions thanks to the rich variety of plant species, which give the impression of being abroad.
Area >3 hectares
Design Park Unit of the Public Works Department, 1967
Renovation Puisto- ja pihasuunnittelu Hanna Hentinen, 2006–2007
Services Tamminiementie café, Villa Angelica restaurant, Urho Kekkonen Museum, Adjutant café