park walk

Businessman Julius Tallberg (1857–1921) is considered the father of Lauttasaari, an island district to the west of the city centre. In 1911, as an active member of the city council for the growth of Helsinki, he purchased over half of the island almost accidentally, having intended to sell it onwards to the City of Helsinki for the same price. The city council was reluctant, however, and it was not until 1946 that the district was annexed by the City of Helsinki. The development of the island from a community of villas into a residential district began in 1935, when the first bridge connecting the island to the mainland was opened. Today Lauttasaari is home to approximately 18,500 residents. The popular district is set to become even more attractive with the arrival of the western metro line in the near future.